727·330·3500    ·    Denise Mensa-Cohen, Enrolled Agent    ·    Office Located in Clearwater, Florida
It's Thursday 5:21 AM
Our Office is Closed

Tax season may be over, but you still need to hang onto your tax returns and other tax records for at least three years. However, if the IRS believes you have significantly underreported your income (by 25 percent or more), or believes there may be an indication of fraud they have the authority to go back six years in an audit. Furthermore, some documents including those related to real estate sales should be kept for three years after filing the return on which they reported the transaction.

In certain instances, such as when filling out financial aid forms for college, you may be required to upload your tax documents from prior years. If you haven’t kept copies of your tax returns, you can obtain them through the IRS, but you’ll have to pay a fee for them.

If you need an actual copy of a tax return, we can get one for you from the IRS for the current tax year and as far back as six years.

If you need assistance obtaining prior year tax information, please call.

Pin It on Pinterest

Hi, this is Denise...

Please share my post with your friends!